20 November, 2020
Recipe: Tasty Rye Bread Semmelknödel
Posted in : Sourdough bread on by : addsitelagi
Rye Bread Semmelknödel.
You can have Rye Bread Semmelknödel using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Rye Bread Semmelknödel
- Prepare 375-400 g of rye bread.
- It’s 300 ml of Milk, warmed but not to boiling.
- It’s 1 of onion or 2 leeks, finely chopped.
- Prepare 200 g of bacon (optional, I usually don't use it), cut into small cubes.
- You need Handful of Parsley, chopped.
- You need 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- It’s to taste of Salt & pepper.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs or more as needed.
Rye Bread Semmelknödel instructions
- I used this small round rye bread boule – about 380-400 g..
- Cut the bread up into small cubes. It needs to dry out so you can either leave it sit overnight in the open -or- you can put on a baking sheet and bake fro 10 minutes at 170°C until dry..
- In a frying pan, briefly saute the onions until soft (and bacon if using). No need to brown. Set aside..
- In a large bowl, add the bread cubes and pour over warm milk. Mix well and let soak for 10-15 minutes..
- After the bread has soaked up all the milk, add the sauted onions, parsley, nutmeg, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix by mashing up with your hands..
- Add eggs and mix in with hands. Then add as much breadcrumbs as needed (1/2 cup~ish) to bring together dough so you can shape it into round balls without it falling apart..
- You can mix in bits of bacon if using too (i made half & half!).
- Form into 10-12 round dumplings by squeezing together the mixture with your hands. These were a little bigger than a golf ball. (if you have time, let them sit for 15-30 minutes to firm up)..
- To steam: Set up a steamer and steam for 20 minutes, in batches if needed. This method is the "safer" compared to boiling because the dumplings won't fall apart..
- To boil: Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil and gently slide in each knödel. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Don't let the water boil strongly or else the knödel could fall apart. Drain and serve..
- Serve with creamy mushrooms sauce, meats with gravy/sauce, pan-fried sauerkraut, stews, etc….